Thursday, August 9, 2007

World Famous Lom Bakery

Today we went to the best bakery in the world and got great pastry's to start our day and sat by a window looking out onto a waterfall that turned to rapids beneath....it was cool.



From there we visited a stave church....these are churches from the time of the vikings and there are only around 20 some left in Norway...










So, I was thinking my day was starting off pretty good....and then my family left me at the car while they ran up to the ATM machine for 2 minutes to pull out cash. 45 minutes later, I was really wondering where they had gone...but eventually they managed to find their way back to the car....with packages in hand. OF COURSE....I should have known, they went shopping while I sat in the car. Very cool...no really, that was fun for me.

So, anyway....we headed down the road leading to Bergen and the Norwegian fjords. The drive today was actually really fun because we were driving through the tallest mountains of Norway with glacier ice and stuff. We stopped at one point for a picnic and were able to fill our water bottles with the water from the river which was so cold and clean.






















We continued on the road, though my Grandmother did not love the road that much, she gets nervous with 10 hair pin turns (the guide book described them as white knuckle hair pin turns, but I think the author may have exagerated), but my Aunt is a very safe driver, so there really is no need to be worried.
Naturally a day cannot go by without us getting lost, and so we found ourselves out on some tiny pennisula in the fjords at around 11 at night looking for our bed and breakfast in a town that didn't have a bed and breakfast. I really don't know how my Aunt messed this one up, I mean getting lost is one thing but ending up in the entirely wrong town is another.
We had to ask some people who lived in the town, and they called the bed and breakfast and got us the actual directions to the actual town that we were staying in. We arrived after midnight, and went pretty immediately to sleep! Tomorrow we begin to explore Bergen and the west coast of Norway where the fjords are. I'll tell you about them tomorrow.

No comments: