Tuesday, August 7, 2007

The Road to Lom

Another day at the bed and breakfast means, another day that I get to eat a really good breakfast. This time I filled up even more in preparation for a morning with the women of my family....shopping! Seriously....don't they ever stop. How many times can you look at a scarf??

They finished up their shopping and we headed North, on the road to Lom. Lom is in the mountains in the middle of the country and is mostly farm land. My family is from the area and we still have relatives there so we were really excited to go and meet them all. But, first we had to drive there.

Of course, as soon as we got on the road again, I fell asleep. My family woke me up in time to have lunch in Lillihammer. They told me that the 1994 winter olympics were held here. I could see the ski jump from the road coming off the mountain. Lillihammer is a nice city but its pretty small for holding the Olympics in. The main street was not for cars but only for pedestrians. We could only make a short stop here since we had to get to the B&B in Lom, so we just got a few postcards and ate our lunch. After lunch we stopped at the berry bar to buy the best strawberries that I have ever eaten in my life.

The next thing I knew, I was waking up and we were in Lom. I saw farms on all sides and the mountains all around. Lom is really small and our bed and breakfast was just outside of it. The B&B is actually a working farm with sheep and horses. We are staying in a sod roofed cottage that was dug into the mountain side...so at night we have sheep walking on the roof. It really freaks Twiga out, but when she is outside she can't get enough of the sheep. It is also really beautiful in Lom....I think I might stay here and not return to the States.


1 comment:

Granddad said...

You are making me jealous