Sunday, August 5, 2007

Eating Danishes with the Danes

Today we planed to see more of Copenhagen and then drive through Sweden to Oslo...the Capital of Norway. So, we got all packed up and checked out of the hotel and walked a LLLOOOONNNNGGGG way to a pastry shop to eat some Danishes with the Danes. The eating danish part was great, but I wasn't so impressed with Copenhagen. It is REALLY dirty...and our dog, Twiga kept eating everything off the ground on our walk. We were definitely ready to leave the city center when we did.




But, before leaving Copenhagen all together, we drove to the waterfront and took pictures of the Little Mermaid. No, not the Disney character...the golden statute of a mermaid that is out on the rocks at the harbor in Copenhagen. Apparently, Hans Christian Andersen first told the story of the Little Mermaid before Disney ever got ahold of it. Hans Christian Andersen lived in Copenhagen and was Danish....thus, the reason for the statute.




After we were finished there, we headed for NORWAY!! My family on my mother's side is from Norway, so it was a really exciting trip for the whole family and we were all excited to go.




On the way to Norway we had to pass through Sweden which is a lot nicer than Denmark. Right when you cross the border there are farms all over. Then when you go farther into Sweden there are trees. It was really "beautiful" and all, but.....I fell asleep. Only once in a while my annoying family would wake me up to see something out the window. Of course, I was asleep so I don't really remember what they wanted me to see anyway.




Finally, they woke me up for something good....FOOD! We stopped in a small village in Sweden and ate pizza, against my grandmothers will. Then we were back on the road and I was back to my sleeping. This time when I woke up we were in Oslo, Norway and we were driving around trying to find the bed and breakfast we were staying at. FINALLY, we found it. By then, it was really late and we were really tired, so we unpacked, got some snacks from a deli nearby and went to sleep.

No comments: