Friday, September 7, 2007

The Beach

Here in The Hague there is a beach that is about 20 min away from my Auntes house in Voorburg. It's what the Dutch would call a resort town and they all go down there during the summer. This beach is different than the ones that I know however. For one, the beach is part of the North Sea...but then again, so is the rest of the Netherlands. The Netherlands is mostly under sea level and we are here because a long time ago the Dutch "reclaimed" the land from the sea. They did it by building all these dams and stuff which is why there are all these cannals everywhere. So, there are all these walls and gates under and around us that are holding back the sea. It's weird and I can't figure out why they decided to do that in the first place. It's not like its overpopulated....they could have just lived on the land that they had. Anyway...my Aunt always complains about The Hague and the weather and the flat land, and sometimes she says, "Why would anyone reclaim this land....give it back to the sea!".

I have now been to the beach two times but its nothing like a nice Californian beach where it is nice and sunny and the water is nice. It was fun to go though because it was still a beach and because it IS the North sSea and to me that is cool. The first time we went to the beach we got pics of all of us there...my Aunt lookes cold and miserable in the photos, but my Bestemom loved it. A fews days after our first trip , my Bestamom wanted to go again, so we drove down with Twiga. The second time I went we walked around on the beach. I walked in the water which was cold at first but then it was fine...so that my Bestemom could get pics of me there and she loved it even more that time. Then we walked around on the board walk and ate Poffergies. It's fun down there, but I kind of agree with my Aunt, I miss a real beach like San Diego.

1 comment:

Bestemom said...

I was remembering how much I liked the beach-and how much I liked the poffergies. Don't forget to find a good poffergy recipe before you come home. They're really yummy. It really was fun walking in the North Sea--and eating poffergies.