Sunday, October 14, 2007

The Highlands

Today was our second day in Scotland. We got up really early to go on this highland bus tour, so we were up by 6:30 and out the door by 7:30. Once the bus got started, we drove for a while before anything interesting happened, so I slept on the bus till the breakfast stop where we got to see the highland bull. (they are furry)



We had about 30 min to eat/drink and look through the gift shop...I like chocolate muffins. Then we got back on the bus and kept going...all this time looking out the window at the amazing view of the highlands with the leaves turning to brown, red, yellow, and still some were green. We stopped at Glen Coe (where three mountains come together and where a terrible massacre happened during the Jacobite uprisings) and got out for a photo break.


The tour was great, but the bus driver was questionable. He was really really really annoying and would not stop talking and would whistle into the microphone which was really loud. So, if I had any complaints it would be him!


After lunch we headed out to Urquhart castle (which is a castles ruins). It is situated along the bank of Loch Ness. Did you know that Loch is Scottish for Lake?? Anyway, the castle ruins were actually really beautiful. We got to look at them for about an hour and a half...they were so cool...Most of it was completely demolished but there were parts that were partly intact...I think that parts of it have been rebuilt but still cool to see. I definitely would have been cold to live in though, that's for sure.





After that we hoped on the boat that took us on to Loch Ness so that we could have a look at Nessie, the famous Loch Ness monster. My Aunt swore that she saw Nessie, but mostly she's full of it. Even though Nessie was sleeping, Loch Ness was still cool to be on. After the VERY wet and cold boat ride, we had to get back on the road to Edinburgh. Once we were on the rode I fell asleep and didn't wake up till my Aunt wanted to switch places with me...I had been sitting next to Mel but had fallen asleep so my Aunt wanted to talk to her. Finally we headed home to Mel's house....totally exhausted and ready for bed. That was a fun day.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

The highland bull looks cool. I'd like to touch his coat if I didn't have to get close to those horns.