Tuesday, October 23, 2007

The Church Youth Group

My Aunt has started going to a different church here because the one she went to didn't have a big youth group and she wanted for me to have that while living here with her. So, we started going to a new church and I started going to a new youth group.

She and I both admit that the new church is a little bit different than the churches that we are used to. But, beggars can't be choosers and English speaking churches in a Dutch speaking country don't exist on every corner, so you take what you can get. I started going every other friday night to the church youth group. My Aunt is a little nervous about it after the first night when I came home and told her that we were talking in the small groups and the leader was talking about how homeless people want to be homeless and are sinners. I thought she might have a heart attack when she heard that. She keeps saying she's afraid she's signed me up to some kind of homeless person hating cult. But, I really wanted to go back to the next youth group meeting because they were doing this ropes course thing....so I convinced her to let me go back despite their issues with the homeless people. Below I list reasons to like and dislike my new church group...keeping in mind that it could never replace my church groups back at home in California.

Five reasons I like the group:


  1. I really miss my St. Marks and St. Mathews so now I have a church to go to


  2. The church is close to where I live


  3. The people there are really nice


  4. They have some fun things to do


  5. The talks we get into when we get into the small groups are good



Five reasons I don't like the church



  1. The church is like a born again church


  2. The youth group leader is a little, well actually a LOT, weird


  3. They only meet every other weekend


  4. The talks that we have before we get into the small groups are dumb and a waste of time


  5. Its not like the other churches that I used to go to and I miss them

So last Friday was my second time there and so far the only fun thing that I have done is this obstacle coarse that we did. The coarse was climb over a 4ft wall crawl through a small triangular thing. Then you have to grab on to a rope and swing over the mats climb over a second 4ft wall then two benches. After that you climb a ladder and come back down and crawl under a foot high mat thing then run to a wall and back first with a 5 pound backpack than without it...it could have been better but it was OK. But, no matter what they will just never convince me that all homeless people want to be homeless and are sinners!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Topher, I'm a friend of your aunt's & I LOVED your post about the youth group! Your reasons pro & con make total sense. And taking every/any religion with that proverbial grain of salt is smart. Born-again churches can be hard-core on sinners, not only the homeless but gay folks & uppity women! At the same time they often have a wonderful sense of love & family--just don't tell them that you are homeless, gay, or an uppity chick!

Granddad said...

Hi kiddo
I have not comment for awhile. I have enjoyed reading your accounts of your time in Europe. Also I think you are learning alot about the "Old World". Your insite into the church group is great.
My comments on democracy:
I think that democracy is one form of government. From what I have seen the problem with all forms of government is that people get apathetic and that allows power to be abused by certain people. I think that in this country we need to change some of the things about our democracy. Like maybe term limits for all of congress or making it mandatory for people to serve a stint in congress the same as jury duty. Probably not going to happen though. The one thing about a democratic government it is easier to change (that is what elections are for) than some other types of government