Monday, October 15, 2007

Goodbye Scotland...it was great!

Today was the last day in Scotland and we spent it back in Edinburgh. We were thinking of climbing a hill which overlooks the city called Aurthur's Seat, but it was pretty drizzly and we had a lot of shopping and looking at the sites that we still wanted to do, so we decided against the hike. The Royal mile is the mile between the Queen's Palace and the castle and has shops and sites to see all along it. There was this really cool store along the Royal Mile that had all these swords and shields and hand cuffs and stuff like that but it was all old fashion...I liked it there...and I ended up getting the hand cuffs for my wall at home. They are really cool and REALLY old school.
Then we went back to the graveyard and looked around for a little and saw some cool head stones. There is another interesting story from this particular graveyard. It's a dog called Bobby. Greyfriar's Bobby (after the Greyfriar's Churchyard). The story goes that Bobby's owner had rough winter one year and died of the cold. He was buried in Greyfriar's churchyard. Bobby wouldn't leave that grave's side and no matter how many times they kicked him out and closed the gates Bobby found a way back in. The bar across the way started feeding bobby because they felt badly for him, and for the next 12 years that was where Bobby sat. When Bobby died, they buried him there at Greyfriars Graveyard and there is a monument to Bobby outside the churchyard. So, we had to go back and visit Bobby's grave. After that we went to Greyfriar Bobby's bar and had lunch. I had chicken and garlic bread...that was some of the best garlic bread i have ever had...that's a little sad now that I think about it. And, I tried a new kind of beer which was pretty good.

Then we went back out shopping...we got some cool things...I actually convinced my aunt to get me the kilt so now I have a kilt that is my own clan pattern (the Royal Stewarts)...it is so cool.

Finally we got to the end of the mile and saw the palace...so naturally we went in to the gift shop and looked around but we had to go because it was time to go get our things and head to the air port. We got home pretty late that night (around midnight) but when we did, Twiga was happily waiting for us. It was nice to come back to Twiga but I was sad to leave Scotland, it was really great there.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Loved your story about Blackfriar's Bobby! I'm a big dog person & when I went to Scotland, my favorite place was the dog cemetery at the Edinburgh Castle. Did you see it? Or was that where Bobby was buried? It was touching to see the epitaphs to the puppies.