Monday, May 5, 2008

Kuekenhof on Cinco de Mayo


So, on Cinco de Mayo it was my first day back in Holland. I know that it is a day of celebration in Mexico, but to celebrate in Holland, I went to Kuekenhof which is the very nice bulb plant garden. When I heard about it I just thought it would be like all the other bulbs i had seen where it was just like any other farm and the bulbs are planted in long lines and you would just walk up and down and see them all. But, my aunt was pretty insistent that we were going to go, and we were going to take Twiga. She goes every year, so I figured I was stuck going. Instead it was like one big garden with a bunch of little ones in it.

When we first got there we just looked around at the stuff in the front then realized we were hungry so we went back up to the front and got a map and I realized just how big Kuekenkof gardens really is. So we started the long walk all the way around the gardens to get some lunch. The walk was really fun because of all the flowers and just how everything looked. I ended up finding my favorite tulip which is some what like the "Queen of Night" but it has a bit of a fur like feel to it. When we got to the restaurant it took a little while to find a place to sit but when we did it was nice because we had Twiga with and she was really happy and wanted to sniff everything.

After lunch we kept walking and went into the Enlightenment area and it had these really comfy beanbags to sit in on the grass that just made you want to go to sleep. After sitting there for about half an hour we realized we had to get going. We also were shopping at all the stores in the park to find the perfect bulbs to send home to CA next year. We found the best package and bought them and then we finished walking through the gardens and on the way out got a picture of me with the Poffergy sign.

Then, we drove back to The Hague and to the beach where we went to a Dutch/Mexican restaurant for dinner. It was not the best mexican food I've ever had (but I think I liked it more than my Aunt). After celebrating cinco de mayo with a mexican dinner we went to my Aunt's friend, Josy's house to watch their favorite show - Grey's Anatomy. And, this was our Cinco de Mayo! (we've planned a cinco de mayo party...but later in the week).

No comments: