Friday, December 7, 2007

The Cab Driver

SO last night my Aunt and I went in to Den Haag for a little to meet Eleni for dinner and do some other stuff. Dinner was really good; it was at this Japanese Sushi place but I got beef because I don't like sushi. After the nice dinner we went back to the central station to get a train but we just missed it so my aunt said we should take a cab instead of waiting 30 min for the next train. when we got to the cab my Aunt said Voorberg (where we live) blah blah blah and the driver starts driving and I notice that he put the cost up from 350 to 450 right when we got in the car but I thought that was just the price. Then I see that we are driving in what I thought was the wrong way. Then we stopped at a stoplight and my Aunt and I both notice that the meter was going up like every ten seconds even though we weren't moving. When the light turned green he turned right and went up to the next stop light then turned right again so really he drove us around the block and then when we were about right back to were we had been he turns us back around again and at that point my Aunt turns around and says "We have driven around the block and it has cost me ten euros" then at the stop light my Aunt turns to the driver and says that "it is ridiculous that I have to pay 10 euros to go around the block and that this has never happened when she has taken a cab from there before" and the cab driver has the nerve to say "did the other cab drivers fly over the train station." Now that pissed my Aunt off so much that she told him to pull over and let us out - the whole time the cab driver is telling us that we had never been in a cab here because that is how much it costs.

So my Aunt gets really outraged and starts yelling at the cab driver...I am in total shock in the back seat, because I've never seen my Aunt behave like this in public. She forces the man to pull over by saying she will call the police if he doesn't....and then refuses to get out of the cab until she writes down the cab number and I wrote the licence plate. Finally, we leave the cab and start walking away and the cab driver gets out of the cab and starts yelling at us - so my Aunt gave him the finger and yelled "*&#%#$ off" at him, and we kept walking as he kept swearing at us and yelling. I was a little shocked to hear my Aunt say that, but realize that she must be REALLY mad at the cab drive. I actually thought it was funny but we had to walk home in the wind and rain...It was worth it.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Next time you should just wait the 30 minutes and take the bus.

Anonymous said...

This was not really one of those moments that I am particularly proud of. In fact, it is really rather embarassing to have this posted on the web.